Fire statistics show 20 people a day are either killed or injured in the home during December.
The service offers these tips:
• Ensure you have a working smoke alarm installed on all levels of your home.
• Make sure gas fires and central heating systems are serviced by a qualified engineer, and install carbon monoxide alarms.
• Check on older relatives and neighbours this Christmas to ensure their safety, as they are at greater risk from fire.
• Never leave cooking unattended.
• Make sure cigarettes are fully extinguished.
• Never leave burning candles unattended. Keep candles out of the reach of children, and away from decorations, cards and wrapping paper.
• Don’t overload sockets – use only one plug per socket.
• Ensure you switch off fairy lights and unplug them before you go to bed or leave the house. Check your lights conform to British Standard BS EN 60598.
• Always use a residual current device on outdoor electrical equipment. This switches off the power if there is a fault and can be bought in any DIY store.
• Residual current devices can also be used with electric blankets, to prevent an overload of electricity being supplied to a faulty blanket.
Make sure everyone in your home knows what to do in the event of a fire – get out, stay out, call 999 For further advice on staying fire safe, visit www.wiltsfire.gov.uk